Wednesday, October 21, 2009

J on Streetball


“I’m originally from Maryland, but I live in Washington, DC now. I’ve been playing basketball my whole life. My father, since I was young, always put a basketball in my hand. Ever since then, it was a family thing. We all play.

“Now, I'm a point guard on my high school team. I learned a lot playing organized ball, but out here is where I learned my real skills. Each and every day, I practice and try and get better on the courts in DC. You know, streetball is something that is in our blood. We don’t do this for money, we do this for the love of the game and for respect. It brings people together. As you can see, all of my friends are out here playing basketball and it keeps us out of trouble. And, you’re respected for being a good player back in the neighborhood. People walk around and see me and say, “Hey, he’s a good basketball player.” That is a good thing to be known for.

“I play in a lot of places now with my school: Miami, North Carolina, Virginia, Tampa, and Maryland. And, I’ve played streetball in those places, too. But, DC streetball is real tough and gritty compared to those courts, you know what I'm saying? I’m telling you, these courts are tough. Just come check it out and you’ll see what I’m talking about. We take basketball seriously up here in DC."

Some of DC's best streetball is at Barry Farms in Southeast, home to the Goodman League. Check out video of DC streetballers here.

No comments: