Sunday, November 1, 2009

Grace on Appreciating How Good We Have Things Here


"I've lived in DC since 2006.  Before that, I lived in a wide variety of places including Korea, China and the former Yugoslavia. Compared to those places, this city seems like a small friendly village. To go from one end of town to the other in Beijing or Seoul, you needed at least an hour. DC is really quaint in comparison. So, it is nice to settle back into a place like this where this is a large international contingency, but a smaller town manageability. Before Asia, I was in the former Yugoslavia both during and after the war. Trust me, this city is great in comparison. Sometimes we don't appreciate how good we have things here. 

"DC has world class museums and the restaurants are great.  I have come upon the best of a lot of worlds here and I would not have appreciated it as much had I not lived in these other places.  In DC it is so much easier to deal with things.  You know, it is my own country so that helps. But otherwise, the ease of life here is incredible in comparison. I am not a DC native so I was not sure how much I would like it when I got here, but it has exceeded my expectations. I would like to keep a base here and continue to travel abroad, but I always want to come home here."

No comments: