Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Carolina on La Clinica Del Pueblo


"I am originally from Honduras. I came to DC to do a Master Degree in Anthropology at American University. I am surprised to see so many Latinos here! It's nice. Now, I am volunteering with La Clinica Del Pueblo. We are doing outreach on the streets and trying to get people to go to the clinic for health testing. We provide testing for everything, but mostly blood pressure, HIV, and cholesterol. La Clinica also offers legal services to anyone in need of assistance, but as you can tell from the name, we target mostly immigrants.

"A lot of people are hesitant to get help because they don't have documents to be in this country legally. They are worried that if they seek help, they will be deported. La Clinica does not target that population, but they don't turn anyone away either. Even when I walk around and speak to people in Spanish, they are hesitant to talk to me because they don't have documents. But, I inform them that La Clinica protects everyone's privacy and provides assistance to all."

Support La Clinica Del Pueblo here. Read more about groups helping the Latino population in DC from Eliezr.

1 comment:

Walter said...

0 comments for this interesting post?
It is so refreshing to learn about people who are beautiful inside out. I wish I had the chance to meet Carolina and be friends. Muy linda!

Walter, California.