Thursday, November 5, 2009

Rose on Being Where She Wants to Be

“I can recall when they had dirt roads going up and down Martin Luther King Avenue. At that time, it was known as Nichols Avenue. This was many, many years ago. They had ice trucks and watermelon trucks and fish trucks driving up and down these streets. It was wonderful. It is still wonderful. There is a lot to see over here in Anacostia. People should come and visit. Anacostia is a historic part of Washington, DC. And, Frederick Douglass is over here, too. Come over here and see him and get some history out of this old neighborhood.

"All of my life, I have lived in Anacostia and I couldn’t live nowhere else. This is my home. I raised my family here. I met my husband here. I met him at the top of the hill on Mars Road, near Fort Stanton. We are still together after 50 long years. See, this is my homeland over here. This is where I want to be. I don’t really leave here because this is my love. I love the neighborhood and community. They are so supportive. This is where I will be for the rest of my life.

"Now, I own Maple View Deli and Catering. This place used to be the old Miles Long sandwich shop, home of Pearl, the Miles Long sandwich girl. Our signature dishes are the Maple View cheeseburger and fish and cheese on a bun. But, you also got to try our macaroni and cheese."

Go visit Rose and try the macaroni and cheese at Maple View Deli at 1208 Maple View Place SE.

Rose, in orange, is pictured with Little Joe, Daron, Kristen, and Yvette.

No comments: