Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Theresa on Moving Back to DC for Her Son


“I moved to Capitol Hill when I graduated from college. I loved it here. It was so exciting. But, I got married and had kids and moved to the big house in the suburbs of Annapolis. It was in one of these Mysteria Lane type neighborhoods. My husband and I raised the kids there, but I was always yearning to come back.

“When my second son decided that he loved music and wanted to go to the Duke Ellington School for the Arts in Georgetown, he commuted for two years from Annapolis. It was one and a half hours each way. That is how much he loved the school. After two years of that, we decided to get an apartment in Capitol Hill and eventually bought a house here not far from my first apartment in Capitol Hill.

“Another thing is that my son is gay and so, the city is so much nicer for him. It is so much friendlier and more accepting. This is where he needs to be. I think that’s what makes us the most happy here, too. Here, our neighbors are a gay couple with a child. So, my son feels very at home and more himself.

“We initially came for our son, but stayed for us. We love our Saturdays here. We walk the dog, go to Eastern Market, sit at Marvelous Market with a coffee and watch the parade of people. It is a great place to be. We had nothing like that in Annapolis as we had to drive everywhere. Annapolis is such a different lifestyle. My husband is not a big city guy, but he is starting to like it here now."

Theresa is pictured with Tilly.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting piece. I can relate to it.

dcpeg said...

Welcome back! D.C. is the only city I can imagine living in through my old age. So much to do and see and it's just a darned gorgeous place to be!

soulshadow55 said...

I'm a nation Washingtonian and I've always said you are going to have to take me kicking and screaming. I love D.C. but as I get older I know that I'm not going to want to deal with our winters (even as mild as they are compared with other places). So I will probably move someplace warmer with a lower cost of living in the next 15 years or so. But I have totaly enjoyed living in D.C. My parents are from Gainesville, VA (about 35 minutes from D.C. up Route 66). My siblings and I used to thank our parents profusely for not staying in that one traffic light town. We would have led such a different existence if my parents had stayed there instead of moving to D.C. for jobs way back in the 1940's.

Anyway, welcome back!

Anonymous said...

What a great web log. I spend hours on the net reading blogs, about tons of various subjects. I have to first of all give praise to whoever created your theme and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and honestly you got it. The combining of demonstrative and upper-class content is by all odds super rare with the astronomic amount of blogs on the cyberspace.