Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Armando on the Capital of the Empire


"I am reporter in D.C. with Channel Nine News. I've been in the area since 1982. I was born in Cuba. I started working for Spanish radio here and then worked for a variety of news organizations over the last twenty-some years. Over that time, I have come to know D.C. pretty well. I have seen it change for the better. I cover general assignment news, which can be crime, entertainment, politics, just about anything. There is a joke that a general assignment reporter wakes up every day, puts on a blindfold and throws something at the wall and whatever it hits is what he is going to cover that day. That's what we do.

"Somebody who has been in this city as long as I have and has covered national and international news, understands the identity crisis that this city goes through. Is it just the capital of the United States? Is it just a local community? No, it's both. Yesterday, I was covering the carjacking of a Tennessee Senator's daughter who also happens to live here. That is national and local news. I covered the Salahis, who are an interesting couple. It is a national story because they crashed the White House, but all of the people that they allegedly scammed, that's a local story.

"What makes this city unique for me is the fact that it has all of the realities of a local community, yet lives on the national scene. It is the nation's capital. In fact, a lot of people say that the United States is the Rome of the 21st Century. If that is the case, it is an Empire and this is the capital of that Empire."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny, I see this guy on tv all the time! He is great